2012 Alford-Axelson Award for Nonprofit Managerial Excellence
We are widely recognized for excellence in community development. Our successful track record is a testament to the vitality of our community and to the power of community participation and direct democracy. As our neighborhoods change and we strive to maintain a stable, mixed income community, our commitment to pursue redevelopment for the benefit of, and control by, low and moderate income residents of our community is just as relevant, and more urgent than ever before.
- The Alford-Axelson Award for Nonprofit Managerial Excellence. The purpose of this award program is to honor and continue the legacy of Nils G. Axelson, a devoted community healthcare leader and visionary, and Jimmie R. Alford, a contemporary leading thinker and practitioner in the nonprofit arena, by recognizing and celebrating Chicago area nonprofit organizations that exemplify extraordinary managerial excellence.
- The Novogradac Community Development Foundation (NCDF) awarded our Rosa Parks Apartments the national Novogradac JTC Development of Distinction award in the Community Impact category to recognize excellence in community development entities that have made exceptional qualified low-income community investments.
- The Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) awarded Rosa Parks Apartments its inaugural 2010 Illinois Affordable Housing Award given in recognition of innovation and excellence in affordable housing throughout Illinois.
- The Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) presented Rosa Parks Apartments with its national 2010 Multifamily Buildings Design Award to recognize design excellence and construction quality using precast concrete.
- In its Fall 2010 publication, Design Develop Construct DDC Journal featured us and our Rosa Parks Apartments in its 3rd annual issue dedicated to green building, recognizing the development’s comprehensive sustainability and LEED Gold certification.
- Chicago Architect Magazine featured Rosa Parks Apartments in its May-June 2010 issue, highlighting the development’s “super-green, super-efficient, and affordable” design elements.
- Enterprise Community Partners recognized Rosa Parks Apartments with its Green Communities Award. Green Communities homes are affordable and promote health, conserve energy and natural resources, and provide easy access to jobs, schools, and services.
- The Chicago Association of Realtors awarded Rosa Parks Apartments its Good Neighbor Award in the Residential Multi-Unit New Construction category.
- The National Development Council recognized us as a 2009 Innovative Community Development Project Semifinalist for La Estancia, our 57-unit mixed-use development that includes over 14,000 square feet of affordable commercial space.
- Enterprise Community Partners selected Bickerdike in 2009 as the first Chicago placement for the 3-year Frederick P. Rose Architectural Fellow who will support the development of green resource manuals and sustainable design features for all future development projects.
- In 2009, Business and Professional People for the Public Interest named Joy Aruguete, Bickerdike Executive Director, one of 40 Who’ve Made a Difference in the public interest.
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago named Joy Aruguete to its Community Investment Advisory Council in 2009.
- La Voz Del Paseo Boricua named Efrain Vargas, our Director of Housing & Community Development, as runner up in its 2008 Person of the Year.
- Enterprise Community Partners named Joy Aruguete to its national Network Advisory Board in late 2006.